Nothing wrong with the day after Valentine’s Day – – you can score half-price chocolate today!
But first – a photo of a few of my Valentine decor finds – – Figurine is Royal Doulton “The Promise”, a Capodimonte heart shaped dish, and a beautiful milk glass plate. I think I’m going to leave up all this mushy love stuff until the end of the month!
And now – I did upload some Valentine’s Day treat how-tos. Each of them are super easy, quick clean up, and sure to impress. I made fudge, chocolate bark, and special rice krispie treats. All of them were inspired by projects I have pinned on my Pinterest boards. Have a look here:
I didn’t stop there! I also made some treats for my feathered friends!
I think I’ve saved the best to last – I made bath bombs! This was a very simple project, but certainly impress. I took a bunch to the office where I work on Wednesday, as well as the yummy treats that I made to share. The bath bombs were gone before the fudge was! (I hope no one tried to eat them). I also sent a gift bag full to work with hubby for the staff.
I pinned this project nearly four years ago!
I’ve kept it in the back of my mind since that time, and this past weekend, I finally got the chance to bring my version to life.
The original project poster gave really comprehensive instructions, so in my post, I’ve spent a little time on tips to prepare the empty Lysol wipes container. Getting a perfect surface takes a bit of attention.
Besides the empty container, the only other equipment required is:
- scrapbook paper
- a small brush
- Mod Podge
See the printed type on the container? Yeah, it won’t wash off. But you can use acetone! A little dab with a paper towel and it’s gone in a flash. Now, when it comes to removing the label, there’s going to be some big blobs of glue remaining. Using your hair dryer, warm the glue, and peel up as much glue as possible. Don’t get it too hot, or you may warp the container (or burn yourself!). What’s left will come off with another paper towel dampened with a bit of acetone.
Now you’re good to go. Here’s video to show you how I did it:
I pinned this image months ago from Completely Coastal, just aching to recreate it — or something like it — for myself. (It’s well worth a visit to this webpage for more nautical inspiration!)
The inspirational piece was created by Kim Teasdale of The Painted Poppy Studio of Nanaimo, British Columbia.
I had been keeping my eye open for the perfect dresser for a long while. But then just after Christmas, it came to me! Ah ha! I have a dresser already! It’s been under my nose in the guest room all this time!
Now, it’s not the same size or shape as the inspirational piece, but it was my favourite price (free!). And I had the paint on hand: Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Greek Blue, Florence, and Pure White.
First, I wiped down the entire piece with a spray on liquid deglosser – Natura Safe Sand – that I picked up at the local Home Hardware. It was simple to use–I just followed the instructions–and gave me a surface that the paint could adhere to. Then I did a coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Pain in Pure White.
I topped that with two light coats of Greek Blue. Then, using a rag, I smeared a few wavy lines of Florence (green) horizontally across the top, front, and sides of the dresser to add some depth, and give the background an ocean-y feel.
Next came the hard part! I downloaded a free image from a royalty free website, and with some assistance from the helpful folks on the Cricut Create Canada facebook site, I turned it into a stencil using my Cricut Air Explore 2.
It took a couple of evenings, and lots of patience to get to this point:
Before applying the paint, I first put down a layer of Mod Podge Matte. This helps to keep sharp edges on the stenciled image. When that was dry, I used Pure White to paint the octopus image.
The next part is my favourite – sanding, distressing, and waxing! I adore watching the transformation from perfection to perfectly wonderful, using just instinct. This is where the art takes over. With a sanding sponge, I knocked off some paint to reveal the white underneath along the edges where normal wear and tear would occur. Then I rubbed dark wax into the edges, corners, and ridges. The final finish was two coats of hand-rubbed clear wax.
I struggled a bit with decisions on the hardware. I tested white porcelain knobs, and considered something fancy – a nautical looking specialty knob, or a sea glass coloured knob – but ultimately, I went with the original knobs that I retained, and I could NOT be happier with the way it turned out!